Saturday 1 August 2009

Trooper of Saxon Karabiniergarde (Variant 1)

It has been quite a saga finding information on the Saxon Karabiniergarde and there will be at least 2 variants of this uniform, as the sources I have conflict. This is one of the variants suggested by Wolfgang Friedrich; the other variant will be based on the work of Johannes Eichhorn of Großenhain in Saxony, who did a great deal of research on the Saxon Army from the 1920s to the 1940s, not auspicious times for doing such work, and sadly he now seems to be almost forgotten. Friedrich mentions Eichhorn in his references but little of Eichhorn's work was ever published. I am very grateful to Harald Howe for bringing Johannes Eichhorn and his work to my attention. I have a particular fondness for the Saxon Army of the mid-18th century and I am pleased to be able to bring the valuable work of a nearly forgotten researcher on that army to the attention of those using this blog.

Unit details etc. to be completed later...

2 comments:

  1. Nice work as usual! All of these color plates are getting me thinking about colors. Trying to think of what types of units to do next for my armies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, FB. :-) Lots of red - that's the answer... :-) Plus lots of other colours, naturally. ;-) (It's OK - it's 4.30am here and long past time for bed so my brain is even more wacky than usual.)

    Good luck choosing - it's fun to do, at least.

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...